Promoting a Safer Church
As a parish church we have adopted the House of Bishops 'Promoting a Safer Church' policy and the Parish Safeguarding Handbook, incorporating the House of Bishop's Safeguarding Policy and Practice Guidance.
Our PCC has formally adopted this and signed the Safeguarding Policy Statement Promoting a Safer Church.
Details of our parish safeguarding officer can be found in the church 'Safeguarding in our Parish - who's who' notice which is available in the church or on our people page We also have a copy of the Promoting a Safer Church poster prominently displayed within the church.
All those working with children and adults at risk have undergone safer recruitment, received safeguarding training and support.
Reporting a concern
Any safeguarding concerns in the parish should be brought to the attention of our local Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) in the first instance, who can seek further advice from Sharon Hassall, the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA), as necessary. If you have a concern about the Parish please contact Sharon directly.
Sharon's contact details are:
Telephone: 01254 503070
Mobile: 07711 485170
Address: Diocese Offices, Clayton House, Walker Business Park, Blackburn, BB1 2QE
Links to the Diocesan Safeguarding Team pages can be found here:
We understand reporting abuse may be very difficult and that not everyone may want to contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Team. Below is a list of other agencies that are available to assist either on a 24-hour basis or through specialist helplines and services:
• NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
• Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
• National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
• Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
• Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).